By: Spencer Miller (Macro Chef)
Delicious peanut butter cups filled with a creamy chocolate peanut butter protein filling make for the perfect, decadent and healthy peanut butter cup alternative.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Filling
- 2 scoops XTEND Pro Chocolate Lava Cake protein powder
- 1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup peanut flour*
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk/water**
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 18 mini silicone muffin liners (or 9 regular size)***
*Peanut flour is basically defatted peanuts ground into a flour. It has the peanut butter taste, but with less fat and more protein! It can be found in the peanut butter aisle of most grocery stores.
**I used unsweetened almond milk. Start with 1/4 cup, and add more as needed to get a thick peanut butter filling consistency. Be careful not to add too much or the filling will be too runny.
***You can also use regular sized muffin liners and make 9 larger peanut butter cups rather than 18 smaller ones.
- Add dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again. If chocolate is not melted yet, continue microwaving for 30 second intervals until melted.
- Add about 1/2 tbsp melted chocolate to each of the silicone liners. Rotate it around on its side to spread the chocolate around the sides. You can also use a spoon to help spread the chocolate up onto the sides of the liner. Place in fridge to let chocolate harden.
- To make peanut butter filling, add peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds to let melt. Add protein powder, peanut flour, milk, and salt. Mix everything really well until a thick peanut butter mixture is formed.
- Add about 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of peanut butter filling to each of the liners already filled with chocolate. Press peanut butter mixture down gently so that it is even and flat on the top.
- Add remaining melted chocolate to the top of each peanut butter cup to cover the peanut butter filling. It should be about another 1/2 tbsp for each one. Set back in the fridge to set for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition per PB cup (out of 18):
- 160 calories
- 5 protein
- 13 carbs
- 10 fat