by Erick Avila
What’s an EMOM?
EMOM is an acronym for Every Minute on the Minute, these workouts involve doing an exercise at the start of every minute until the workout ends. With this style of training, you select an amount of time that you want your workout to last, specific exercises that you’d want to do, and a set number of repetitions that you’d want to do for each exercise. This style of training can be very efficient because you can do a total body workout in a relatively short amount of time.
EMOMs can also be very versatile workouts because they can be cardio focused, strength focused, or used for skill development on complex exercises. For these reasons, EMOMs are especially popular with CrossFit athletes and Olympic lifters.
How to Design an EMOM
- Decide on an exercise focus for your EMOM: strength, cardio, skill development, power, upper body, lower body. The focus of your EMOM should guide your selection for the other items on this list.
- Pick the total amount of time that you’d like your EMOM workout to last. This includes time doing the exercise and the rest between sets. You don’t want your EMOM to be too long because it will be difficult to maintain a high intensity. And you also don’t want your EMOM to be too short because it may not be enough time to develop any fatigue. For many people, the sweet spot for an EMOM workout seems to be 10-15 minutes.
- Choose which exercise(s) you’d want to include in your EMOM. It’s possible to do an EMOM with just one exercise although doing multiple exercises can be an efficient way to workout different body parts. Just be mindful of how many exercises you select because it can be difficult to keep track of exercises as your workout gets more intense.
- Select the number of reps that you’d like to do for the exercise(s) in your EMOM. Be mindful of how much time you’d have left to rest between the end of your exercise and the start of the next minute.
- Choose the appropriate equipment for your EMOM. EMOMs can be done with everything from bodyweight to barbells.
Sample 10-minute EMOM workouts
If you aren’t quite ready to design your own EMOM workout, try out one of these sample ones to get started with this powerful workout style.
Full Body Strength EMOM
EMOMs can be an efficient way to do a full body workout and they can be effective for increasing your comfort level with lifts that are closer to your 1 rep maximum.
- Minute 1: Squat (back squat, front squat, or goblet squat) @80% of your 1 rep max for 2 reps
- Minute 2: 5 pull ups
- Minute 3: Squat (back squat, front squat, or goblet squat) @80% of your 1 rep max for 2 reps
- Minute 4: 5 pull ups
- Minute: 5: Squat (back squat, front squat, or goblet squat) @80% of your 1 rep max for 2 reps
- Minute 6: 5 pull ups
- Minute 7: Squat (back squat, front squat, or goblet squat) @80% of your 1 rep max for 2 reps
- Minute 8: 5 pull ups
- Minute 9: Squat (back squat, front squat, or goblet squat) @80% of your 1 rep max for 2 reps
- Minute 10:5 pull ups
Cardio Focused EMOM
EMOMs can be great ways to develop your aerobic capacity while keeping your workout engaging because you’ll have your eye on the clock.
- Minute 1: 10 second sprint rowing ergometer
- Minute 2: 15 push ups
- Minute 3: 10 second sprint rowing ergometer
- Minute 4: 15 push ups
- Minute 5: 10 second sprint rowing ergometer
- Minute 6: 15 push ups
- Minute 7: 10 second sprint rowing ergometer
- Minute 8: 15 push ups
- Minute 9: 10 second sprint rowing ergometer
- Minute 10: 15 push ups
Skill Focused EMOM
Skill focused EMOMs are popular for improving technique on complicated exercises like olympic lifts and kettlebell exercises. A common exercise that many people use EMOMs to improve on is the snatch. Grab a barbell, kettlebell or dumbbell depending on your comfort level with this movement and give this Skill focused EMOM a try.
- Snatch @ 65% your 1 rep max for 2-5 reps (use the lower end of the rep range if you’re using a barbell) at the start of every minute, for a total of 10 minutes
Hydrate and Replenish
While EMOMs can be short workouts, they’re very intense, so it’s important to hydrate and recover after a tough workout. Add XTEND® Original to your post-workout routine to support hydration and recovery after a tough EMOM. XTEND® Original features an electrolyte blend to support hydration and the signature 7-gram ratio of BCAAs to support muscle recovery, making it the recovery choice of champions.